Recipe of the Quarter: Stuffed French Toast
- 1 loaf of French bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 T Butter
- 1 T sugar
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- Fresh Strawberries
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar
- Slice a loaf of bread into 2-inch pieces. Cut a deep slit across the top in the middle of each slice, approximately 4 inches long.
- Wash strawberries, remove the stems, slice and put in bowl. Add a little sugar and mix in. Set aside.
- In another bowl add jam to the cream cheese and mix until well combined.
- Grab a slice of bread and add about a tablespoon (or as much as you like) of cream cheese filling. Do the same thing with the fresh fruit. Make sure to close the opening by gently pressing the bread together. This will make frying them easier and less messy. Set the filled slices aside.
- Mix eggs, milk, and cinnamon together until well mixed. Turn the stove top on to medium-high to preheat the skillet. While your skillet is heating up, dip sliced bread in the egg wash for about 20 seconds on both sides. Only dip as many slices as you plan on frying. In other words, if your pan can only fry two pieces at a time, be sure to only coat two pieces of bread at a time.
- Add butter to skillet. Fry each slice for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Top with additional fresh strawberries, sliced almonds, and powdered sugar.